The quality of leather of the skirt was nothing like the gorgeously soft and glossy lambskin that I've used before, but it was perfectly fine for this project. The skirt was listed as 'new', but the leather actually looked as though it had been washed. I'll give it a bit of TLC with leather cream and I'm sure it will come up better.
For the making of these pants, I kept all the seams of the skirt intact, but I did cut off the hem and buttons so that I could lay it flat as a single layer on my cutting mat. You can see some of these seams on my legging panels. I think the random seams add to the interest factor.
The pattern I used was Vogue 8859, a Marcy Tilton pant. I've used this pattern before in my pre-blogging days. I'm completely useless at making notes on pattern pieces (although I am trying to work on this). One thing that I love about blogging is that I have pictures and pattern modifications documented in a way that I can easily go back and look up again. Anyway, I remembered these pants fitting really well the last time, except for being a little too high in the waist. These are the only photos I have of my last version.
Isn't this the most fabulous ponte knit ever! I think the print was called Dragonfly Fantasia.
In my first version, I ended up hacking off the waistband after I'd sewn it, before restitching the elastic back on, a little lower down. This was a messy modification, but perhaps even messier, was my 2012-self attempt at recording this change by simply putting the hacked off portion back in the pattern packet!
So to summarise my modifications in this pattern:
- removed 1.5" of length through the crotch
- removed the yoke
- narrowed the waist through the back crotch seam by 1.5"
- drew up a waistband to stitch to the top. I inserted my elastic through the waistband instead of directly to the pant as specified in the instructions.
- skipped the pocket
- added 1" in leg length